dedicated to discovering all that is authentically amarillo
current issuecurrent issue
Retro Rewind - Posted October 27, 2017 10:33 a.m.
photo
Photo from Amarillo Public Library archives

Amarillo Air Base

more resources
Share This: Bookmark and Share

In 1942, the U.S. military activated an air base east of downtown Amarillo to train mechanics and engineers to service the B-17 Flying Fortress aircraft used in World War II. While that base closed after the war, it reopened in 1951 as the Amarillo Air Force Base. It serviced the B-52 Stratofortress and, at its peak, employed more than 15,000 people, bringing an enormous local economic and population boom to Amarillo in the 1950s and early 1960s.

This photo was taken at the Armistice Day opening of the base on Nov. 10, 1951. It depicts the base’s 589th Air Force Band leading a review of troops following Lt. General Robert W. Harper's dedication speech. Around 40,000 local residents attended the parade and toured the air base that day.

Though the base closed in 1968, it was located next to the Amarillo Air Terminal, which eventually became Rick Husband Amarillo International Airport. The original 13,500-foot-long Air Force runway was transformed into the airport’s primary commercial runway, making it one of the longest in the country used for that purpose.

by Jason Boyett

Jason has written more than a dozen books and is the host and creator of “Hey Amarillo”, a local interview podcast. Visit heyamarillo.com and jasonboyett.com.
blog comments powered by Disqus
recent stories

A Place to Start Over
Based in Amarillo, Sharing Hope gives assistance to incarcerated women all over the United States, ...

Cuddle Up
At Northwest’s most popular volunteer program, NICU cuddlers get as much out of their work ...

Perfect Pasta
Steve Bautista walked us through the steps required for do-it-yourself pasta.

Beyond Bacon
You’ll enjoy the three pork-based recipes in this issue, from roasted pork belly and biscuits ...

@AmarilloMag