dedicated to discovering all that is authentically amarillo
current issuecurrent issue
Retro Rewind - Posted June 23, 2017 9:30 a.m.
photo
Photo from Amarillo Public Library archives

Amarillo’s Second Fire Station

more resources
Share This: Bookmark and Share

The Amarillo Hook and Ladder Company was established in 1897 to serve the growing population. Within the next decade, the fire department became an official city service, and operated out of the same downtown municipal building that housed city hall. In those days, the fire department’s pump and hose wagons were pulled by horses. As automobiles began to increase in popularity around the city, the fleet added a motorized vehicle around 1912.

Amarillo’s dry climate, high winds, and timber homes made the threat of destruction by fire a significant one. As the city kept growing to the south and west, the fire department decided it needed a second station to serve the city’s residential neighborhoods. This building was constructed in 1914 at 16th Avenue and Harrison Street (pictured above). In 1959, the impressive building was torn down and replaced by a new fire station. The replacement structure, located at 1601 S. Harrison St., is now home to Scarborough Specialties, Inc.

by Jason Boyett

Jason is a journalist, copywriter, ghostwriter, and the author of more than a dozen books. His most recent is “12 World Religions: The Beliefs, Rituals, and Traditions of Humanity's Most Influential Faiths”, published by Zephyros Press. Learn more at jasonboyett.com.
blog comments powered by Disqus
recent stories

Dickey’s Barbecue Pit
Feast your eyes on Dickey’s three meat platter, a meal made to share – but ...

Sizing up the Sides
Fries may be the typical burger sidecar, but why be typical?

Don’t Forget the Fries
Since burgers are rarely eaten without a side of fries, this issue wouldn’t be complete ...

Working Their Buns Off
A number of local restaurants rely on buns baked every morning in Amarillo at Snowhite ...

@AmarilloMag