When it opened in 1924, Northwest Texas Hospital was the first public medical facility in Amarillo. It was located between West Sixth and Seventh Avenues, a little more than a mile from the city’s downtown. Following expansions in 1940, 1952 and 1960, Northwest’s facility eventually grew to 275 beds. After Northwest relocated in the 1980s, the old hospital building transformed into a low-income retirement community now known as The Canyons.
On the northwest corner of the block – at Sixth and Rusk – a two-story, standalone building now bears the name Meridian Apartments. Shown in the photo, this structure on the Northwest campus originally served two purposes. It was the Northwest Texas Hospital School of Nursing and a 12-room residence for students in that program.
Today, the Meridian Apartments are managed by the Downtown Women’s Center, offering 34 one-bedroom apartment units for homeless women recovering from drug addiction, plus other low-income individuals.
by Jason Boyett
Jason is a journalist, copywriter, ghostwriter, and the author of more than a dozen books. His most recent is “12 World Religions: The Beliefs, Rituals, and Traditions of Humanity's Most Influential Faiths”, published by Zephyros Press. Learn more at jasonboyett.com.