Throughout its history, Amarillo has mostly been known as a cattle processing town, but in the 1930s, pig processing was a thriving industry – and its epicenter was a large, three-story brick building located directly south of the stockyards. Pinkney Packing Company was located on Southeast Third Avenue. It was founded in 1930 by Ray Pinkney, who began offering a line of pork products for local grocery stores, including Sun-Ray Hams, Sun-Ray Sliced Bacon, and Sun-Ray Pure Pork Sausage. According to newspaper ads in 1931, these products were “selected from the choice prime porkers raised in the Panhandle and sugar cured under the most modern and sanitary methods.” Pinkney Packing Company lasted almost four more decades, until it was purchased by Sunray Meats, a division of Western Beef, in 1968. The Sun-Ray line of products could be found in stores into the early 1970s.
by Jason Boyett
Jason is a journalist, copywriter, ghostwriter, and the author of more than a dozen books. His most recent is “12 World Religions: The Beliefs, Rituals, and Traditions of Humanity's Most Influential Faiths”, published by Zephyros Press. Learn more at jasonboyett.com.