When the Amarillo Tri-State Fair opens Sept. 16, 2016, more than 130,000 people across the Texas Panhandle will visit the fairgrounds during this nine-day event. While fairs and expositions had been part of Amarillo history since the late 19th century, the event that eventually became today’s Tri-State Fair was chartered in 1923. Colonel C.T. Herring, John B. Gilvin, Colonel E.O. Thompson, and Ross D. Rogers were among the civic leaders who guaranteed the charter and organized the fair.
From those earliest days, a variety of culinary and creative arts contests have been part of the Tri-State Fair. This photo from 1926 shows the first-place entry in the “Business Displays” category. The cabinetry was built by Gilbert Carter Matthew’s Mill and Cabinet Shop – an elegant glass-and-wood entry designed to display merchandise at one of Amarillo’s many retailers.
by Jason Boyett
Jason is a journalist, copywriter, ghostwriter, and the author of more than a dozen books. His most recent is “12 World Religions: The Beliefs, Rituals, and Traditions of Humanity's Most Influential Faiths”, published by Zephyros Press. Learn more at jasonboyett.com.