Amarillo leaders Gene Howe (left) and Mayor Ross D. Rogers (right) greet a visitor to the city during the early 1930s. The cofounder of the Amarillo Globe and eventual editor and publisher of the Amarillo Globe-News, Howe’s presence and influence were deeply felt throughout Amarillo until his death in 1952. Gene Howe Elementary School was named for him when it opened in 1964. Ross Rogers was Amarillo’s mayor from 1932 to 1941, presiding over the city during the difficult days of the Depression and Dust Bowl. Prior to that, as a local businessman, he had been instrumental in establishing the Amarillo Tri-State Fair. The Ross Rogers Municipal Golf Course, which opened during his mayoral term in 1940 – funded by the Works Progress Administration (WPA) – was named after him.
by Jason Boyett
Jason is a journalist, copywriter, ghostwriter, and the author of more than a dozen books. His most recent is “12 World Religions: The Beliefs, Rituals, and Traditions of Humanity's Most Influential Faiths”, published by Zephyros Press. Learn more at jasonboyett.com.